Posted: December 10th, 2022
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
Sociology Discussion 2 (phase 3-4)
Please choose one of the following questions and provide a discussion post with your response.
• What does relativity of deviance mean? Think of an example to help explain your response.
• Think of a recent time when you used informal negative sanctions. To what act of deviance were you responding? How did your actions affect the deviant person or persons? How did your reaction help maintain social control?
• Use any of the theories on deviance to explain an example of deviance or crime.
• I stated in the lecture that the role of police is only to enforce the laws. What do you think of this? Does that mean they are free of any responsibility and in a way are only “following orders”? For example, I have seen a few videos of police arresting people attending Church services or other events during the lockdown. Should police do their job without question or should they be allowed to take a moral high ground on specific issues?
• The issue of arranged marriage was briefly brought up. In this situation, parents decide the spouse for their children (sometimes at an early age). What is your opinion on this? Why does this happen, especially in caste systems?
• I mentioned a lot about the structure of our class system (the ladder/pyramid). What is your opinion of this structure? Is it “just the way it is”? Or is it an unfair/rigged system where the wealthy and powerful do whatever they can to maintain that power?
• What is the difference between relative and absolute poverty? Imagine two different people one living in each of those types of poverty. How are their lives similar, and more importantly, how are they different?
• One theory of poverty that we did not spend too much time is called the Culture of Poverty Theory. This theory argues that people tend to remain in poverty if their parents also lived in poverty. Because it happens generation after generation, it becomes like a trap. Also, it is called “culture” of poverty because it implies that the people in poverty eventually tend to share values and beliefs that unfortunately help keep them in that poverty. What do you think about this theory?
• Why did I say that race is a social construction and not biologically based? How is ethnicity determined? How do you personally identify according to race & ethnicity?
• I mentioned that in my opinion, stereotypes seem innocent enough and yet I also argue that they’re the root cause of discrimination like racism, sexism, and heterosexism. What did I mean by that? Can you use an example?
• Select one of the racial/ethnic groups discussed in the chapter and briefly summarize their story/history in the United States. How are they now?
• Why do sociologists find it important to differentiate between sex and gender? What importance does the differentiation have in modern society? Do you agree with me that many of societal problems can be solved if we just agree with our class definitions of sex and gender?
• How is children’s play influenced by gender roles? Think back to your childhood. How “gendered” were the toys and activities available to you? Do you remember gender expectations being conveyed through the approval or disapproval of your playtime choices?
• Identify three examples of how U.S. society is heteronormative. What does this mean for the LGBT community?
• Explain the different variations of the nuclear family and the trends that occur in each. Do you think the family is somehow in danger because of these variations and trends?
• What kind of long-term benefits do you see in choosing to marry? Is marriage in the top 3 of your life goals?
• What makes the divorce rate so challenging? What do you think is biggest factor in deciding to get a divorce? When a couple with children chooses to divorce, is this better or worse for the kids? Or should the couple stay together “for the kids”?
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.